Aircon Compressor Failure: Here’s Why It Stopped Working
Table of Contents
When the hot weather approaches, the last thing you want is a broken air conditioner. The fan was working fine the last time you examined the AC before summer. But did you check the air conditioner compressor? Most likely not! Now, in the humid weather, you realise that the AC compressor is not operating, despite the fan running. Don’t be alarmed. This is a typical problem that is bound to happen with aircon in every home.
All You Need To Know About Aircon Compressor
If your air conditioner won’t turn on, something is likely wrong with its compressor. Although this may appear to be bad news, compressors are frequently repairable. Before you rush to any assumptions, you should troubleshoot to identify the root of the problem. Remember that an average homeowner can only do so much in this aspect. Experts can only perform many of the tests that must be completed.
Continue reading to find out what might go wrong with the compressor in your external aircon equipment. You may discover that your AC compressor malfunction is a small problem and will resolve it after a few simple measures.
If you haven’t already done so, you may need to have your system maintained or repaired this summer. However, if you are seeking professionals, the best aircon servicing company in Singapore will provide you only with highly satisfactory aircon services!
1) What is an Aircon Compressor?
A working compressor is required for an air conditioner to function. The compressor is usually situated in the outside unit of a basic household air conditioning system. The compressor’s primary purpose is compression, as the name indicates.
The gaseous refrigerant is then pressed into the condenser. When the refrigerant is still in the compressor, the air conditioning cycle is at its commencement. The procedure cannot begin if the AC compressor does not turn on.
2) What is The Function of an AC Compressor?
The compressor in your AC system functions as a pump to move a liquid known as refrigerant through your AC. However, the term “pump” may be deceptive because the compressor pushes the refrigerant by compressing it into vapour.
That pressure shift requires a lot of effort, and if you listen to your air conditioner while it’s operating, you’ll essentially hear the compressor. As a result, the compressor can experience much more wear and tear than other sections of the AC, making mechanical difficulties with the compressor a typical source of aircon troubles.
It compresses the refrigerant fluid so that it may be changed from a gas to a liquid, as the name implies. The heat from your home is transported away by the compressor outdoors, leaving your interiors cold, refreshing, and pleasant.
Poor maintenance of the AC compressor can occasionally cause it to malfunction. This is why technicians always advise people to maintain service and repair the aircon as it can prevent such malfunctions.
An air conditioning machine can continue to operate despite a faulty HVAC compressor. The AC unit has a pair of fans that can continue to work even if the compressor fails.
3) How Long Does an Air Conditioner Compressor Last?
The compressor should last 10-15 years when the air conditioner is properly maintained. As previously said, the compressor works hard and experiences typical wear and tear, but when the air conditioning isn’t well-maintained, it works much harder. This causes wear and tear and your chances of eventually having a malfunctioning compressor.
4) Why is The Aircon Compressor Faulty, But The Fan is Running?
Someone may have unintentionally adjusted the thermostat to the wrong setting if your aircon compressor isn’t operating, but the fan is. In such circumstances, the room may already be chilly enough that the compressor is unnecessary. Air conditioners over a decade old may also have such issues.
What Causes The AC Compressor To Stop Working?
An AC compressor can malfunction or cease performing for a variety of reasons. In many circumstances, an AC compressor’s failure is caused by easily avoidable problems.
7 Reasons Why The Aircon Compressor Stopped Working
When you know what’s causing the problem with your AC compressor, you can estimate how much it’ll cost to fix it. In fact, not all aircon repairs are expensive if you know what to fix precisely. The following are some of the most prevalent causes of AC compressor failure:
- Suction lines that are clogged
- Dirty condenser coils
- The suction line is the wrong size.
- Low charge of refrigerant
- Excess refrigerant levels
- Contaminants in the system, insufficient oil lubricant
- Electrical issues
Some symptoms to take note of before an AC compressor breaks down or malfunctions fully:
- The circuit breaker begins to trip more regularly and shut down or turn on and off more frequently.
- The device begins to blast heated air.
- When the system is turned on, it rattles.
- The device begins to make unusual or bizarre noises.
- Regular AC maintenance is one of the most excellent methods to detect and rectify problems and keep an AC compressor from malfunctioning in the future.
5) How Can I Tell If My AC Compressor Issue is Serious?
It might be tough to know when to call experienced AC professionals for an AC repair and when to try a do-it-yourself fix. However, if you have any of these issues, it is advisable to seek professional advice:
a) Frequent on/off – aka a “hard start,” this might be triggered by an electrical fault within the compressor.
b) Reduced cooling – If your house or workplace does not appear to be as chilly as it typically is, your air conditioner compressor may have stopped correctly operating owing to suction difficulties. A professional should deal with this.
c) Overheating – Overheating may cause your AC compressor to cease operating due to poor wiring or motor troubles. Call a professional if your AC compressor stops functioning and you observe ice or severe heat.
There are several simple and complex reasons why air conditioning compressors fail. These are only a few examples. In general, it’s preferable to err on caution and have an EconCool Air Conditioning specialist inspect the unit to guarantee appropriate check and repair.
6) What Should You Do if The Aircon Compressor Fails?
Many compressors fail as a result of poor maintenance. By arranging regular maintenance checks on your AC systems, you may learn about the symptoms of a tripped circuit breaker, blown fuse, dirty or clogged air filters, or a faulty thermostat.
This will not only assist in solving most of your AC compressor problems but also help avoid future compressor malfunctions. Fortunately, you won’t have to put up with a broken aircon for long. Here are some valuable recommendations on how to fix your aircon compressor or prevent more damage from occurring.
When the compressor fails:
- Replace the broken compressor!
- Always get an AC professional to repair the component or compressor because these can be tough to replace, and doing so without knowledge might result in much more harm.
AC Compressor Failure Prevention Steps
- Wash the condenser coils regularly.
- When required, wash, clean, and change the air filters.
- Clean the supply vents periodically and remove any obstructions or blockages.
- If you hear a buzzing sound emanating from the unit, replace the capacitors and start the relays.
- Check the electric wiring for a blown fuse or a tripped circuit breaker on a regular basis.
- Inspect the air conditioner before the hottest season begins to avoid sudden problems.
- Check things out with the assistance of AC technicians. These should not be attempted as do-it-yourself projects.
If you feel you have an AC compressor problem, our air conditioning specialists at EconCool can assist you. We aim to address your problem most efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Our professionals will identify the root of the problem and advise you on your choices. Hopefully, your compressor can be fixed, and your air conditioner will be operational again soon. Book an appointment with us now to receive the best services!